Districtwide Special Education Paraeducator serving William Wells Brown Elementary
Company: Fayette County Public Schools
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Paraeducator/CLAS - 8325 - SP ED PARA
WILLIAM WELLS BROWN ELEMENTARY
Assist certified teachers in implementing instructional practices,
transitional activities, maintaining a safe and supportive
instructional environment, and communicating and collaborating with
teachers and other professionals to ensure special education
students obtain quality instruction.
- Implement strategies and procedures developed by teachers to
maintain safe, supportive, and inclusive learning
- Implement strategies that promote the student's independence
across all relevant educational settings.
- Based on program and student needs, assist teachers and related
service professionals in carrying out tube feeding,
catheterization, toileting, diapering (including lifting),
administering medication, feeding, positioning and other health
related procedures required by students who have special health
care needs, and maintain appropriate records of these
- Keep student data current and report concerns to teacher when
- Under the guidance and supervision of a teacher, effectively
implement learning strategies, prompting procedures, and other
systematic instructional procedures in school and non-school
settings using a variety of instructional grouping
- Implement teacher-developed plans or strategies that enhance
the fluency, maintenance, and generalization of academic
- Based on program and student needs, assist teachers with
- Use grammatically correct language which includes
age-appropriate vocabulary, first person language, appropriate tone
of voice, and reinforcement procedures.
- Perform routine clerical duties such as preparation of
instructional classroom materials; setting up student work areas;
and operating office equipment, video, computer, adaptive devices,
and other materials. Maintain classroom records, maintain
attendance records, answer phone.
- Assist teachers in monitoring student progress regarding
academic/cognitive development, social development, and
- Assist teachers and other professionals in maintaining student
records required by federal and state law and regulations and
Fayette County Public Schools' Policies and Procedures.
- Implement teacher-developed behavior plans and techniques that
adhere to the laws, regulations, and procedural safeguards (safe
crisis management) concerning the management of student behaviors.
Includes lifting up to 50 pounds and/or restraining students if
necessary. Record data and monitor progress on behavior goals as
directed by teacher.
- Monitor and assist students in non-academic learning
environments (i.e., lunchrooms, study halls, playgrounds, and
- Direct group activities of students as assigned, assist in
lunchroom duties as assigned, assist in emergency drills,
rec-leisure activities, assemblies, community participation as
- Assist in overseeing students while in regular class, labs or
other activities, providing them with the necessary materials
needed to participate.
- Follow teacher instructions and implement team decisions.
- Contribute relevant, objective information to teachers and
other school professionals to facilitate planning, problem solving,
and decision-making processes across all relevant settings.
- Maintain confidentiality of individual students and their
families, as well as all student educational records.
- Perform assigned responsibilities under the supervision of the
teachers in a professional and ethical manner established by the
district, agency, state, or professional organization.
- Participate with administrators, consultants, and/or other
professionals in designing and implementing comprehensive
professional development activities for paraprofessionals.
- Assist in administering diagnostic and other tests and record
- Read, understand and assist in implementing, recording and
monitoring assigned students IEP's.
- Assist students to and from activities, loading, unloading
and/or riding the bus and assist in preparation as required.
- Assist students by providing proper examples (positive
attitude, caring attitude, good rapport with other staff members),
emotional support, a friendly attitude and general guidance.
- Provide support to the teacher and student by creating an
environment that is conducive to learning. If instruction is being
hindered because a student's behavior is distracting, implement
guidelines given by the teacher. (Take student for a walk, take
student to the bathroom, remind student how they are to
- Conference with the teacher/case manager concerning programs
and materials to meet student's needs. Also, discuss with the
teacher concerns that need to be shared with the parent. It is the
teacher's responsibility to communicate
academic/behavioral/instructional concerns with the parents.
- Assure the health and safety of students by following health
and safety practices and regulations including PBIS and
de-escalation techniques. May require annual training and
re-certification in safe crisis management.
- Maintain regular attendance. Report your absence to the teacher
and in the absence reporting system as specified by the
- Perform other duties as assigned. Qualifications:
- Minimum 48 college credit hours or successful completion of the
Kentucky Paraeducator Assessment or completion of an Associates
Degree and experience working with youth in an organized setting
and some instructional experience in a classroom environment
working with children and parents with special needs,
multi-cultural and multi-ethnic backgrounds. KNOWLEDGE OF:
- Basic subjects taught in District Schools, including
arithmetic, grammar, spelling, language and reading.
- Safe practices in classroom and playground activities.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Basic record-keeping techniques. ABILITY TO:
- Learn procedures, functions and limitations of assigned
- Apply and explain policies and procedures related to school and
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Work cooperatively with others. Working Conditions:
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech,
vision and hearing.
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching,
- Must be able to lift one-third of their body weight, not to
exceed 50 pounds. Application Procedure:
Contact Person: Ebony Hutchinson
Keywords: Fayette County Public Schools, Lexington , Districtwide Special Education Paraeducator serving William Wells Brown Elementary, Education / Teaching , Lexington, Kentucky
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!