Field Sales Representative - Equine (Part-Time)
Company: Southern States Cooperative, Inc.
Posted on: June 12, 2021
This job description is a summary of essential job functions
necessary for the satisfactory performance of this position.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with
disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Job functions
may vary by location.
This is a part-time position. Visits farms on a periodic basis
to provide current and prospective customers with knowledge and
information regarding equine products and services. Relies on
knowledge of SSC products and services, as well as interpersonal
skills to develop strong customer relationships.
Essential Job Functions
- On a part-time basis, visit farms of current and prospective
customers. Coordinate sales calls and travel schedule to optimize
- Utilize interpersonal skills to foster positive, long-term
business relationships with current and prospective customers.
Recommend products and services that best support the customer's
needs. Promote Feed Merchandising Programs.
- Arrange product delivery schedules.
- Coordinate resources needed to address customer inquiries.
Communicate with manager, vendors, corporate and field staff to
resolve questions and concerns.
- Maintain accurate customer records, prospect lists and report
weekly sales calls. Transmit weekly fieldwork reports and weekly
expense voucher to manager.
- Promote the SSC brand and business philosophy in a positive and
customer-focused manner throughout the local community.
- Represent SSC in a positive manner by demonstrating
professionalism at all times in communication and appearance. Wear
approved SSC uniform/attire and operate a neat and well-maintained
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, developments,
regulations and updates to SSC equine products.
- Perform work safely as to not cause harm to yourself,
customers, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal
Protective Equipment (PPE) as required. Operate all equipment
according to SSC policy and government regulations. Comply with
OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety
(EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
A combination of completed coursework and relevant experience
may be considered in lieu of degree
Education: Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Animal Nutrition.
Will consider other education with related sales experience
Experience: Requires previous sales experience with equine
Licensing: Requires a valid Driver's License
- This position requires the safe operation of a motor vehicle to
perform essential job functions and mandatory compliance with the
SSC motor vehicle safety policy
- Able to effectively apply knowledge of equine feed products and
services in order to accurately answer questions and make
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Able to communicate clearly and professionally
- Able to consistently demonstrate customer-focused interpersonal
- Able to develop and maintain productive business relationships
with area farmers and agricultural community members
- Attention to detail, accuracy and accountability
- Computer literacy to utilize MS Office products and SSC
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient
Essential job functions are primarily performed on-site at
customer locations. May regularly work outdoors and may be
unprotected from weather conditions and subject to seasonal
temperatures and humidity. Requires the frequent operation of a SSC
motor vehicle for travel purposes.
Frequent exposure to hazards, including:
- Odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with dry and
liquid fertilizers, crop protectants, fuel, and other agricultural
products and equipment
- Dust, dirt, allergens, insects, pests and other factors
associated with inspection of farming, crop production, and/or
- Products, supplies, and tools with sharp edges or containing
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles, vibrations and electric
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE
Ability to travel during adverse weather conditions may be
required. Extended hours may be required at various times including
peak growing season.
Physical Activities & Requirements
Physical activities may vary based on location.
- Continuously bend and stoop; manual dexterity (fingers and
hands) and utilize repetitive hand motion with products, soil/plant
material, and various tools including computers; utilize eye/hand
coordination; twist back and neck. Pull, push, lift, carry up to 30
- Frequently balance, climb, and crouch; drive motorized
vehicles; reach with arms and hands for extended periods; sit for
extended periods; stand and walk for extended periods, at times may
be on concrete or outdoors on uneven surfaces. Pull, push, lift,
carry 30-50 pounds.
- Occasionally kneel and stack. Pull, push, lift, carry over 50
pounds, may be assisted.
Must be able to communicate with customers and counterparts
in-person and via telephone regarding the daily business of sales,
operations, products, services, and safety. Must be able to
maneuver over uneven terrain while inspecting customer locations.
Must be able to utilize vision and touch to diagnose problems and
recommend solutions. Must be able to utilize hearing and vision to
operate equipment including a motor vehicle. Specific vision
abilities required by this position include: close vision, distance
vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the
ability to adjust focus.
Tools & Equipment
SSC passenger motor vehicle, telephone, hand held radio,
computer, printer, scanner, copier, fax machine, writing
instrument, reports, logs, spreadsheets. Seed, fertilizer, crop
protectant, and/or feed equipment, and other tools, equipment and
products as determined by specific location requirements.
Commercial motor vehicle use may be required.
Southern States Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity Employer and
does not discriminate against individuals based on their race,
color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex
(including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender
identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic
information, or any other status protected by federal, state or
local laws, or regulations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this
job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities, functions and skills required for this job.
Functions and requirements may change at any time with or without
Keywords: Southern States Cooperative, Inc., Lexington , Field Sales Representative - Equine (Part-Time), Other , Georgetown, Kentucky
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!